Label-free, Real-time Biomolecular Analysis
Proteins • Peptides • Small Molecules
Introducing BLItz™ - label-free protein assays in a drop
Drop. Read. Done. Genius!
BLItz™ packs the power of label-free analysis into an easy to use personal assay system small enough to fit on the palm of your hand. Its Dip and Read™ assays utilize a variety of disposable, ready-to-use biosensors that truly simplify protein characterization, and let you measure a wide range of analytes. All you have to do is give BLItz a single drop of your sample-it does the rest!
- Analyze column fractions
- Monitor protein expression
- Do reagent QC testing
- Identify mechanism of action
- Run protein engineering studies
BLItz is powered by BLI (bio-layer interferometry), a powerful label-free assay technology used by thousands of protein scientists in drug discovery and development, life sciences and academia every day. BLI is microfluidics-free, enables direct binding assays without labeling or secondary reagents, lets you monitor binding events in real time and provides excellent specificity-even in crude samples.
USING THE BLITZ IS EASY
Just take BLItz out of the box. You can start running protein characterization assays right at your lab bench, right away.
1. Pipette a 4 µL drop of sample into the sample holder:
2. Install a biosensor:
3. Select your assay and click GO. BLItz starts giving you results immediately!
BLItz™ is a personal assay system, letting you do label-free analysis right at your bench-no core lab necessary. You can easily test column fractions for presence of your protein of interest, check protein activity before starting a complex experiment, characterize proteins in cell lysates in their folded state or monitor protein expression. BLItz gives you results in a just a few seconds or minutes-not the hours it takes with gels, blots or other methods. All you need is a drop of sample!
- Determine protein presence/absence instantly
- Analyze binding kinetics at your bench
- Quantitate proteins in seconds
- Develop immunoassays in minutes
No labels needed.
When you don't have to use labeling reagents, you save time and cut costs. Fewer assay steps translates to faster assay development, and results are more reliable when analyzing unmodified proteins.
Get data in real time.
Viewing binding events in real time provides instantaneous answers, and binding curve shapes provide more information on protein quality. Real-time data also lets you measure kinetic rate constants for association and dissociation and affinity.
Use a drop of sample.
Because you only need 4 µL of sample, analysis that was previously limited by small volumes is possible. BLItz lets you conserve precious, difficult to obtain reagents.
Crude sample analysis.
BLItz only detects the signal change as molecules bind to or dissociate from the biosensor surface, so complex solutions are easily analyzed. Proteins can be assayed directly in cell lysates, hybridoma supernatants, up to 10% DMSO and glycerol - so sample prep time is significantly reduced.
Anyone can learn how to use BLItz in no time, there are no complex components or protocols. Just take BLItz out of the box and its ready to go. You can start running samples in a matter of minutes with minimal effort.
BLItz is used for a wide range of applications in research, lead generation, bioprocess development, manufacturing and clinical applications, just like our higher-throughput Octet® platform. So whether you are in academia or industry, BLItz can easily be your personal assay system.
PROTEIN PRESENCE: INSTANTLY
BLItz™ detects the presence or absence of active proteins in just a drop of sample, and lets you easily identify a specific protein in complex solutions. BLItz compliments existing lab methods such as blots and gels, and gives you real-time binding curves for visual confirmation in seconds-so you can be confident in your results.
Above: A 30-second test using Protein A biosensors shows the presence of human IgG in a purified sample. Positive and negative controls are also shown.
- Specific checks in complex samples. Run specific tests for your protein in complex samples such as cell lysates, serum and other expression media. Check for presence of IgG using Protein A, Protein G and Protein L biosensors as well as HIS- and GST-tagged proteins using HIS and GST biosensors. Streptavidin (SA) biosensors can be tagged with a specific capture protein to create customized assays for all other proteins.
- Analysis of column fractions. Test for the presence of your protein of interest in column fractions. Do quick checks on pooled fractions and flow-through for absence of proteins.
- Relative ranking of protein expression. Quickly check relative expression levels of a few samples with no need for purification.
PROTEIN QUANTITATION: FASTER
BLItz™ measures concentration of your proteins without labeling or secondary reagents-even in crude media. Accurate quantitation is obtained across a 5-log dynamic range with sensitivity down to just a few ng/mL. Results that can take several hours to generate with gels, HPLC and ELISA are ready in just a few seconds with BLItz.
Above: A 5-log dynamic range is seen for quantitation of human IgG on Protein A biosensors. Unknown samples are quantitated by interpolation of their binding rate against a standard curve.
The dynamic range of detection varies as a function of both the capture molecule and the analyte, incubation time and shaking of the sample. For example, typical measurement limits of human IgG on Protein A biosensors for a 2 minute incubation are 500 ng/mL to 4 mg/mL. Lower limits of detection may be obtained by extending the incubation time, for example to 5 minutes.
- Protein expression monitoring. Measure the level of expressed protein in crude samples with no need for purification. Some application areas include cell line development and clone selection.
- Bioprocess development. Optimize media and process conditions much faster with BLItz.
- Bioprocess monitoring. Test protein concentration in a 4 µL drop of sample without purification. BLItz enables monitoring for protein production in micro bioreactors, where the total volume of cultures can be just a few hundred microliters.
- Vaccine efficacy testing. Quantitate the efficacy of vaccines, such as in measuring antibody levels in immunized patient sera.
BINDING KINETICS: EFFORTLESS
Even though BLItz™ is small in both size and price, the label-free kinetic data it delivers is exceptional-so there is no compromise. BLItz gives you rate and affinity constants for binding interactions (ka, kd, KD) in minutes. Simple workflows using a drop of sample and a microfluidics-free design let you run kinetic assays at your personal lab bench with ease.
Above: Dose response curve for binding of mouse IgG to Protein A biosensors. Measured kinetic constants are reported: (ka: 1.02E+05 (1/Ms); kd: 2.26E-04 (1/s); KD: 2.22 nM).
Extensive testing has shown that highly reliable kinetic rate constants can be measured using Dip and Read™ assays in a 4 µL drop of sample. Baseline and dissociation are performed in 250 µL of buffer in a tube, enabling highly simplified methods for measuring binding kinetics. The Basic Kinetics mode in BLItz Pro software is used to analyze the kinetic binding profile of a protein in solution interacting with a pre-immobilized protein on the biosensor. The Advanced Kinetics mode allows you load a protein on the biosensor first, then measure the kinetics of its binding to its partner.
- Protein-protein interactions. Measure affinity and rate constants of protein interactions. This information is critical to various applications such as determining mechanism of action and systems biology in early research.
- Protein quality through binding assays. Test the quality of expressed proteins in crude lysates by checking the binding profile against an antigen. This eliminates the significant time and effort involved in purifying the expressed protein prior to analysis with traditional methods.
- Biotherapeutic drug development. Perform a number of applications that involve various types of qualitative and quantitative kinetic measurements such as affinity ranking, epitope binning and mapping and studying the effect of engineering on protein drug efficacy.
- Manufacturing/QC. Measure kinetic binding profiles to probe the quality of manufactured protein drugs and vaccines, including lot-to-lot testing.
ASSAY DEVELOPMENT: SMARTER
Immunoassay development can take days or even months. BLItz™ lets you see the effects of changing assay conditions on binding interactions in real time, so you can develop assays in minutes. Quickly find the best antibody pair, identify optimal conditions for a specific parameter or build and optimize an assay step by step for use on other platforms.
Above: Comparing secondary antibodies for sandwich formation on Streptavidin biosensors. Capture antibody used was biotinylated Mouse monoclonal anti-IL-5. Rat anti-IL-5 MAb and Goat anti-IL-5 PAb were tested for sandwich forming ability to IL-5 antigen. Rat MAb formed a sandwich while Goat PAb did not.
The Advanced Kinetics mode in BLItz Pro software allows you to set up customized binding assays on BLItz.
- Binding pair optimization. Quickly compare antibodies for binding strength and signal. The real‑time quantitative binding information provided by BLItz lets you quickly develop the best antibody pair for your antigen, a process that often takes days using ELISA or other immunoassay platforms.
- Immunoassay development. Gain more insight into how each change in condition affects the binding of immunoassay partners. BLItz allows you to develop assays reliably, and quickly optimize a variety of experimental factors that can take months to determine via ELISA.
Contact us today to find out how you can
see the BLItz in action in your lab
Octet Instrument Platform
Fortebio's Octet platform provides instruments, biosensors, reagents and assay kits for analyzing biomolecular interactions in 96- and 384-well microplate formats. The Octet systems utilize proprietary BioLayer Interferometry (BLI) to enable real-time, label-free analysis of biomolecular interactions and to provide information on affinity, kinetics and concentration. Their analytical capabilities enable significantly easier, faster and better characterization of drug candidates, providing great value in drug development applications where existing methods have limitations in throughput, performance and cost.
Label-Free, Real-Time Results
Our proprietary BioLayer Interferometry (BLI) technology monitors the binding of proteins and other biomolecules to their partners directly in real time. The binding interaction is continuously monitored by measuring the change in thickness of the protein layer on the biosensor tip. The method has no need to label the protein with fluorescent or chromogenic tags, thus eliminating interference issues.
Octet systems perform analysis of samples in 96- and 384-well microplates, processing up to 16 wells in parallel. Protein quantitation can be performed on 96 samples in 20 minutes and on 384 samples in 75 minutes - compared to traditional ELISAs, which can take from 4 hours to overnight. Octet instruments accomodate one or two microplates on deck, depending on the model. Additional features in the 384-series models such as the ability to re-rack and reuse biosensors keep your workflow speeding along.
High Quality Data at an Affordable Price
The Octet systems provide fully comparable data for label-free protein interaction analysis yet cost a mere fraction of equivalent SPR systems. Reduced sample preparation and smaller samples (80 µL - 120 µL/well in 384-well plates) combined with virtually maintenance-free instrumentation greatly reduces equipment and reagent costs. Disposable biosensors with optional regeneration capability lower assay cost per well even further.
Crude Sample Compatibility
BLI technology allows sensitive detection of biomolecules binding to the biosensor surface while minimizing intereference from extraneous materials present in solution. Only molecules that bind to or dissociate from the biosensor surface produce a signal change. Proteins can be assayed in crude mixtures (cell lysates or hybridoma supernatants) or in DMSO (up to 10%), thus drastically reducing sample preparation.
Dedicated Data Acquisition and Analysis Software
All systems are supported by ForteBio's proprietary Octet data acquisition and analysis software. The data acquisition software contains quantitation, advanced quantitation and kinetics modules with dedicated methods to fully support each application. The data analysis software is highly versatile, specifically including a 2:1 heterogeneous ligand binding model, data tracking, and processing capabilities that assist in high-throughput screening. All Octet software includes optional 21 CFR Part 11 compliance tools.
5 MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM: OCTET RED384, RED, QK384, QKe, and QK
ForteBio is a venture-capital funded life science company developing analytical systems to provide rapid, real-time results for protein quantification or characterization of protein-protein interaction. These systems enable real-time analysis of biomolecular interactions in micro-volume sample sizes, providing information on affinity, kinetics, and concentration.
ForteBio utilizes proprietary Bio-Layer Interferometry (BLI) that enables self-calibration and measurement of molecular interactions using simple-to-use and inexpensive instrumentation. An entire analysis can be completed within minutes and does not require labeling of either probe or target. ForteBio's analytical capabilities provide greater value in applications where existing methods such as HPLC, ELISA, and surface plasmon resonance have limitations in throughput, performance, and cost.